i18n - Let's Hear It from the Engineers!
Track: Technical | T12 | Intermediate |
Thursday, July 30, 2020, 2:45pm – 3:30pm
Held in: Stream 1
Adam Asnes - Lingoport
Craig Cornelius - Google
Hendrik Lipka - Salesforce
Cornelia Sittel - Salesforce
In this panel discussion we will explore the following questions:
- What are the top five internationalization (i18n) challenges that keep creeping up and hindering a complete foreign user experience?
- Why is i18n still an issue in the age of Java, Unicode and UX professionals?
- How does the everyday work of a software developer take global requirements into account when features are being developed?
- How do we imagine the process of i18n engineering for emerging markets such as the native languages of India?
- What support do developers need to provide proper i18n? What can they expect from modern frameworks and the training they receive in universities and on the job?
- Localization professionals often wish to be included in all requirements discussions. But is that really necessary? Is it fine if the minimum viable product is not i18n-enabled in a global world?
- What does your ideal localization (l10n) partner look like? What do you need from l10n managers and maybe language service providers to effectively enable your i18n work?
- What are the top five best practices would you recommend to all software engineers and localization professionals?
Takeaways: Attendees will learn why proper internationalization engineering is still hard and what we can do to make it better!